Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What do you do when you meet a bear?

I know that's an odd title but it's a question that Emily asked me last night. Our conversation went like this . . . .

Emily: "Mom, what should I do if I meet a bear?"

Me: "Why do you ask?"

Emily: "I don't know. I just want to know what I should do just in case."

Me: "Well, I don't know but I guess you should not run but play dead and lay on the ground not moving."

Emily: "You mean like fall down to the ground like I fainted?"

Me: "Yes, that's right."

Emily: "Oh, that makes sense. But do bears live here?"

Me: "They live in the mountains but not in our neighborhood."

Emily: "You don't think they live here?"

Me: "No honey, they don't venture too often where there are many people. What brought up this question?"

Emily: "I don't know. It just now popped into my head."

Bedtime conversation with Emily 9.18.08

Note: Bears are not normally found in our neighborhood but one was spotted several times near Katelyn's Middle School a few years ago. . . . . but we won't tell Em . . . . . .

Eating ice cream with Papa July '08.

No comments: