Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Corn Maze

As luck would have it I was chosen for the 3rd time to head to The Farm. The first time was when Katelyn was in Kindergarten and I was in charge of two other children who happened to be the most difficult kids in the class. Why do I know that do you ask? Well, let me tell you . . . . the teacher told me that since Katelyn was such a good and obedient child that she thought I could handle the other two. WRONG! As soon as we hit the hay maze they took off in two different directions. YIKES! That's when I vowed not to go on a field trip EVER AGAIN!

Jump forward 5 years and now Katelyn is in 4th grade and low and behold they're learning Washington State History. Nothing big there BUT they get to go on a field trip to The Farm. And there we get to navigate through the Washington State Corn Maze. I turned the form over to Eric to fill out because it was HIS turn but he couldn't take off of work so I had to go. I went to The Farm with positive thoughts thinking that Katelyn is no longer 5 years old and by the 4th grade the kids know how to obey. This time she was with her best friend Jennifer and two other boys who happened to have ADD issues. The girls were easy to handle but Jennifer's mother and I had to constantly pull the boys off the corn (yes they were trying to climb them) and keep them from running off in two different directions. Do you see where I'm going here. SAME situation as the last time! But this time we didn't make it, got lost and stuck too often and ran out of time. We ended up jumping out into Canada and running to the covered area where Mrs. Hanlon was anxiously looking for us. Our kids had no time to eat their lunch because we had to get back to school for them to catch the bus to go home.

Jump forward another few years and now Em is in 4th grade going to, you guessed it, The Farm. I begged Eric to go but he couldn't take time off of work again. So off to The Farm we went and I was bound and determined to make it this time. Truth be told, had it not been for Mateo's father I would have been in the same situation as I was in 3 years before. But we weren't and the kids did a GREAT job and got us through. We even finished answering all the questions and didn't get lost too often.

The rain was pouring as we drove to The Farm but stopped just in time for us to enter the corn maze. In fact the sun came out so we could figure out which way was North. As soon as we got thought and started eating our lunch it started to pour again.

All in all it was a good little adventure and I'm glad I went.

Heading to the corn maze.

Listening to Farmer Bob tell us how to navigate through the maze.

Heading over the bridge at Vantage.

Getting information.

Proof that we did make it out and completed our assignment.

Escaping from the corn maze!

Eating a well deserved lunch.

Brandon and Emily waiting on the bus to go home.

No comments: