Sunday, January 17, 2010

Remembering Our Grammie


Grandma Ruthie licking her plate clean. I see where Emily gets her plate licking from!

This past weekend we gathered together as a family and remembered a few funny stories about a very spunky Grandma. It was nice to have Lee and Sarah join us for the weekend. Being around a toddler sure lifts one's spirits and she was a delight to be with.

Grandma Ruthie was above and beyond a hoot. She loved life and was kind to just about anyone that came across her path. There wasn't a time when she wasn't singing, dancing a jig or laughing till she wet her pants.

I remember the many times she would sing me a special song about how much she loved me. When I was older I wasn't always into wanting to listen to it but she use to make me. She also called me her Hunna Bunna and even made a special doll just for me. OK, so I didn't receive the 1st doll but I made such a stink about it that she made another one.

Lee recalled the time when she would wrestle him to the ground. We believe she was in her late 60's and Lee didn't want to hurt her. She didn't seem to care and would seriously take him down in which case he'd have to put her in a small package just to get her to stop.

Who can forget when she'd practice with Grandpa and he'd start yelling at her that the tempo was not "Ta Ta Ta Taaa!" But Ta Taa Ta Taa!" She'd just look at him and say, "Sush" and wave her hand and keep going.

I think Susie and I will NEVER FORGET the time she mimicked the Sea Galley Restaurant commercial  by literally walking down the restaurant like a lobster singing, "We've got crab legs!" Thankfully, no pants wetting was involved in this incident.

I remember having to walk many steps back from her when we were at the mall because she would do stag leaps down the middle of the mall. She often did this at home down the hall and would bag me to do it with her or do some dance move so she could watch.

How about the time she bounced on my big rubber Donald Duck till she wet her pants. I was about 3 at the time and didn't know she had this medical issue. I was so upset because I either had just gotten potty trained or was in the process and here my grandmother was wetting my pants!

When I was 19 I went back to Wisconsin to spend two weeks with my grandparents. They spoiled me rotten the whole time I was there. I got to sleep in, lounge around their pool, eat ice cream every night and have whatever I wanted for dinner. Grandpa and I did some bird watching while Grandma and I sat up late on Monday night watching those horrible Monday Night Movies. One the way to the airport the day I was to leave we stopped by the JC Penny outlet store. There Grandma and I found these pants that were so large that we could both fit into the pant legs. We laughed so hard that I feared she'd be standing in a puddle.

There are so many stories that I'm sure I've forgotten and/or too many to write about. She was the life of the party and did many wild and crazy things. Grandma Ruthie will always remain in our hearts and we will miss her greatly. Thank you all for your prayers and kind words of support you've given to our family.

1 comment:

Darin, Jean, Samson & Sydney said...

Krista - this was a beautiful tribute to what sounds like a wonderful woman! You made me wish I had known her.

You and your family are in my prayers as you adjust to her absence.